12.14.2008

Hooray for my advent calendar!

So about a week before Thanksgiving I decided to bite the bullet and make an advent calendar. I finally finished it this week. Not by December 1st like I had hoped, but I'm really happy with how it turned out! I got the idea from this one in the Pottery Barn Kids catalog, but it was $69. I decided that with a few dollars of felt and some blood, sweat, and tears, I could make my own. I'm relieved to see that the PBK advent calendar is simply "No Longer Available"--my big worry was that by the time I finished making my own, the real mccoy would be marked down to $9.99 or something. So anyway, here is the finished product!

I would like to embroider our last name on the bottom of the tree, but I'll probably wait until after Christmas to do that. Realistically, I'll probably do it on November 30th 2009 ;)
Now I just need to figure out what to put in the pockets. I popped a piece of candy in each pocket, but I had envisioned putting in something Christmas-y too. Any ideas?

7 comments:

Tyra said...

very cute!

Stephanie said...

That is so cute and very impressive that you put that together! Did you freehand all of those little patterns? On our advent calendar there is a little snowflake that's attached to a string that you move each day.

Brooke said...

Super Cute! We have a wooden Christmas countdown. Besides candy, my boys love to find little surprises. Sometimes it's small toys, and other times it is a note that says, "Watch a Christmas Movie" or "Visit Santa". They love to open the countdown everyday.

Traci M said...

Your advent calendar turned out very cute (not that I had any doubts). When I was a kid, my mom would put a little candy cane in the pockets for each kid.

Lani said...

That is adorable! Good job! For our advent calendar this year, I copied an idea out of an old issue of The Friend from lds.org. It might be a little old for Natalie, but there's a nativity scripture with a question ("who told Mary she was going to have a baby?") or a Christmas hymn to sing, or a story from the Friend to read.... anyway, I modified it a little, added some activities to some days, and typed it on some Christmas-y paper and cut into strips and then rolled those up and put them in the calendar.

Heather Jewell said...

The calendar came out great! How smart to make your own. One day, when I am grown up I want a credit card for Pottery Barn that pays itself off. Sigh.

Unknown said...

Maybe you could use pieces of the Nativity for the last week - ending with baby Jesus on Christmas Eve...