12.13.2009

Hello, Chicago!

Dave had a conference to attend in Chicago at the beginning of December, and we all decided to come with him! We stayed for one night in a hotel, and we learned that road trips and vacations are a whole different ballgame with two kids, even when you're only on the road for 2 hours and only away from home for 2 days. Natalie successfully navigated the hotel's double bed without falling out--phew!--and David slept fairly well in his carseat, which is where he usually sleeps anyway.

We packed in a lot of fun stuff during the day--we visited the Field Museum and the Children's Museum, rode the L Train (EL Train?), and we ate Chicago-style pizza. Natalie loved the train. Her excitement was so contagious that she even made the tired commuters smile. How can you not smile when a cute 3-year-old (no bias here) in a bright pink coat says "Whee!" everytime the train starts moving, and repeats the names of the stops as she hears them over the intercom?

We don't actually have pictures from our favorite part of the Chicago Children's Museum. It was an indoor snowball fight, complete with white puff balls the size of golf balls and snowflake-shaped cardboard cutouts you could stack to create barricades. We had such a blast, and we weren't freezing cold afterward. Fine family entertainment!

5 comments:

Laura said...

That picture of Natalie at the pizza place made me laugh out loud. I may make it my desktop photo just to guarantee myself a good laugh everyday. Hilarious. And cute baby David snuggled on your shoulder. I...must... hold... him....

Jessie Oliveros said...

Wow, I had a lot of Julie's blog catching up to do. I love all your pics. Baby David is so cute. Do you call him Davey? I think you should. I like that Natalie does the dishes. No one in my family likes to do the dishes.

Heather said...

I want to hold baby David too! I love his squishy cheeks!

Jessie Oliveros said...

Hey what is this nonsense about actually posting less than me. I came back to my blog with the full expectation of being updated on my friends' blogs. Oh I'm so disappointed. And you a Duncan.

Bethany said...

Hey! Are you settled yet? How's the Great Northwest treating you. Hope you don't mind that I took a peek at your blog. Jennifer mentioned that you had one and I took it upon myself to see what it was all about. Feel free to look at mine as well. Miss you!