6.11.2008

Beloved

I just finished reading this book, and I can't stop thinking about it, so I thought I'd blog about it.
Beloved Beloved by Toni Morrison


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
This was an emotionally difficult book to read, but I felt that it was important for me to read it, and I am glad I did. Before reading this book I believed I already understood the injustice of slavery, but this book made me think about slavery, particularly its after-effects, in a way that hit home much more than any textbook or classroom discussion ever has. This book puts a human face on the struggles that are otherwise too easily forgotten. What touched me the most was the plight of a mother to protect her children from slavery, which she knew to be a fate worse than death.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I'm adding it to my To Read list.

Kara said...

I remember reading Beloved! It is a terrific book, even though it's so sad and heart-wrenching. Toni Morrison writes ground-breaking works in general. They're always thought-provoking and emotional!