11.14.2008

Double dipping

Natalie's new favorite food is ketchup! We gave her some with french fries recently and she didn't really eat the french fries; she just sucked the ketchup off them over and over. After awhile she realized she could get at the ketchup easier if she scooped it into her hands. When finished (with the ketchup, not the fries) requested "more kapsups." Hmmm. Ketchup is pretty much tomatoes and sugar, so this isn't the most nutritionally balanced choice, but I figure it's like giving her a piece of Halloween candy with a (tiny) dose of vitamin C! And does it really make sense to insist that she finish her french fries first?

We've discovered that ketchup isn't her only dip of choice. Barbeque sauce (the chicken fingers are an afterthought), gravy (minus the mashed potatoes), and jelly (licked off the bread) are also pretty highly ranked. The other night we were in a Mexican restaurant and Natalie requested more chips and salsa the whole time.

I've heard people suggest that kids are more likely to eat food if they can dip it in something. I just never expected Natalie to eat this dip by the handful.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

My kids love to eat their sauces first too, it kind of grosses me out sometimes. Especially sour cream.

A.Pandina said...

She is such a cutie...miss her terribly! Next time I see her I'm gonna teach her to say 'lycopene' :)