4.11.2008

Six Quiet Dogs

Last night we were going through Natalie's bedtime routine, and I picked a book to read. It's Doggies: A Counting and Barking Book, by Sandra Boynton. Natalie loves dogs (huge understatement), so this book is a favorite for obvious reasons. But it's a little intimidating to me, because 95% of the book requires the reader to bark like a dog. Actually, like many different dogs. And last night I learned that my dog barks could use some work.

Apparently, Dave has never heard me read this book before. He started snickering quietly at first, and then by the time I got to dog number 3, he was unable to control the laughter, and consequently neither was I. That's probably because at 3, you have to make the following doggie sound: "...nnn...nnn...nnn...." Dave's really good at this one. I can think of 2 reasons for this. His family's dog, Sadie, makes this sound on a regular basis. And also, he's a boy. I really think he's hard-wired to imitate noises well, be they machine guns, Yoda's voice, or a dog's bark. Sure, I know exactly how these things sound in my head, but somewhere between that and actually recreating the sound, there's a disconnect. Are there any girls out there who excel at making such noises? If so, I applaud you. Please come over and read my daughter a book. Because now I can't read Doggies without laughing at myself.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hi Julie! I'm so glad you are in the blogging world. I can totally relate to this entry. It seems like half of the books we read contain making some sort of noises. I'd have to say I'm getting better after 3 years of practice, but I agree guys have the advantage in sound making.

Stephanie said...

I just noticed you are doing a vegetable garden. Are you seasoned or is this a new project? I would love to see pictures or find out any tips you have.

Julie said...

Hey Steph! We are definitely not seasoned gardeners. We planted some tomatoes last year and had great luck with them, so we're trying to branch out this year. Our backyard is pretty limited in size, but we'll see what we can get from it. I'll send you more info once we get planting (it's still below freezing some nights around here), and I'll try to keep blogging about the garden throughout the summer. You and I will have to compare notes!

Marci said...

James is particularly good at animal noises. In fact, he prides himself on his "cow". It really is quite good.

Amy said...

Dave has always made good sound effects. We still try to copy one of his sounds on occasion but Ryan tells me it is not appropriate to share that story on this family friendly blog:)