9.17.2010

Breakfast for Dinner Nirvana

I think most people who check out my blog come here for the kiddo pics, but I just have to share the details of last night's successful dinner. I just might post a pic of the kids at the end to thank you for making it through my post.

Yesterday I got a loaf of white bread free at the store. What on earth to do with white bread? Ah! French toast! I enjoyed it as a child, but for some reason have never made it since I left home. (Probably because I never have white bread in the house unless someone's throwing up and therefore on the BRAT diet.)

Anyhow, I wanted to make an egg dish to go with the french toast, and I didn't have the right ingredients for any of the usual suspects. So I tried the Puffy Omelet recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (also where I found my french toast recipe, in case, like me, you actually need a recipe for it).

Omelets make me nervous and never turn out quite right for me, but this one was BAKED and thus much easier. No scary flipping needed. It turned out VERY fluffy, as the name suggests. I wrote the recipe in my Favorite Recipe section of this blog if you're interested.

The kids loved it all. We were wishing we had more of the omelet--I only made one for all 4 of us to share. I increased the eggy goop for the french toast and was thus able to use the entire loaf--we're saving the extra french toast slices in the freezer for a yummy (and easy!) breakfast to come. I loved the smell of the cinnamon and nutmeg in the french toast. Have I mentioned that I'm REALLY excited for fall? I am. Not just the food. Also the crisp, misty weather. But mostly the food.

We had our summer fun, and now let's bring on fall!


There's something I love about a good windy picture.


Natalie helps David eat golf balls when we run out of omelets.

2 comments:

Jessie Oliveros said...

I love the golf ball picture the best. But you do look pretty hot in the windy picture.

Heather said...

I love my Better Homes and Garden Cookbook. It is my old reliable when ever I need something I know is going to be a no fail good reciepe.