9.18.2010

No Kindle for me, thank you

I just got A Tree Grows in Brooklyn from the library and began reading it. This passage explains why I can't get into the eReader sensation. (Besides the fact that they cost an arm and a leg.) Here it is, from sweet Francie Nolan's perspective:
"The story of Francois Villon was more wonderful each time she read it. Sometimes she worried for fear the book would be lost in the library and she'd never be able to read it again. She had once started copying the book in a two-cent notebook. She wanted to own a book so badly and she had thought the copying would do it. But the penciled sheets did not seem like nor smell like the library book so she had given it up, consoling herself with the vow that when she grew up, she would work hard, save money and buy every single book that she liked." (p. 25)
I'm thinking A Tree Grows in Brooklyn may be one of those books that just needs to be bought. So far, so good.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

That is one of my absolute favorite books. There are so many perfect passages like that one that just capture life. Enjoy!

Kristen said...

Oh I adored that book!

Heather Jewell said...

I love that book.
And I am totally with you on the Kindle. You can't bend back the spine on a particularly intense page. It doesn't smell good. And you can't see the different books lined up on your shelf, walk by and smile at them like the old friends that they are. Nothing beats real books.

Heather said...

I love that book too! Feel the same way about kindles and readers--why would one want to loose the smell, the feel of the page and turning the page. . .

Lora Elizabeth said...

It is funny that I stumbled across your post today from Veronica's blog. You should look at what I wrote on mine http://thewordontheshelf.blogspot.com/ it was about e-reading. And by the way I love the quote.